Voting As Active Military



As of November 5, 2019, uniformed-service and overseas citizens are eligible to use the Federal Write in Absentee Ballot (FWAB).  If you are an absent military or overseas citizen eligible to vote in state and local elections, you may register to vote and submit an absentee ballot application electronically for a specific election or any elections up through the next year using the VA Department of Elections voter registration portal.

Please note that a driver’s license or identification card issued by the Virginia DMV is required to complete the process paperlessly. If you do not have a DMV-issued ID, you may also apply by using the federal postcard application (FPCA), available at You can submit your FPCA by scanned email attachment to or via fax to (804) 371-0194. Detailed instructions are provided in the Virginia Voting Assistance Guide. FPCA’s are valid for elections in the calendar year in which they are submitted and must be renewed annually.

If you do not receive your state ballot in time, you may you using a Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB), available at  You can identify all of the state, local offices and if applicable, ballot measures that, as of this date, are expected to be on the ballot by visiting the Candidate Lists and visit Elections Citizen Portal to view your voter registration status.

Active Duty uniformed-service (and qualifying spouse or dependents) and overseas citizens are permitted to receive the ballot via email upon request.  For more  information, view Guidelines for Voters that Request Email Ballots (.pdf) or contact your local elections office.